C# shared memory classes for sharing data between processes (Array, Buffer and Circular Buffer)
The SharedMemory class library provides a set of C# classes that utilise memory-mapped files for fast low-level inter-process communication (IPC) - specifically for sharing data between processes. Supports both .NET 4 and .NET 3.5.
This library was inspired by the following article: "Fast
IPC Communication Using Shared Memory and InterlockedCompareExchange"
- SharedMemory.SharedBuffer - an abstract base class that wraps a memory mapped file, exposing the read/write operations and implementing a small header to allow clients to open the shared buffer without knowing the size beforehand.
- SharedMemory.BufferWithLocks - an abstract class that extends SharedMemory.SharedBuffer to provide simple read/write locking support through the use of EventWaitHandles.
- SharedMemory.SharedArray - a simple generic array implementation utilising a shared memory buffer. Inherits from SharedMemory.BufferWithLocks to provide support for thread synchronisation.
- SharedMemory.BufferReadWrite - provides read/write access to a shared memory buffer, with various overloads to support reading and writing structures, copying to and from IntPtr and so on. Inherits from SharedMemory.BufferWithLocks
to provide support for thread synchronisation.
- SharedMemory.CircularBuffer - lock-free FIFO circular buffer implementation (aka ring buffer). Supporting 2 or more nodes, this implementation supports multiple readers and writers. The lock-free approach is implemented using Interlocked.Exchange
and EventWaitHandles as explained
- SharedMemory.FastStructure - provides a method of fast generic structure reading/writing using generated IL with DynamicMethod.
Usage examples can be found on the